Fire Effects on Soil PropertieseBook - Fire Effects on Soil Properties brings together current research on the effects of fire on the physical, biological and chemical properties of soil. Written by over 60 international experts in the field, it includes examples from fire-prone areas across the world, dealing with ash, meso and macrofauna, smouldering fires, recurrent fires and management of fire-affected soils. It also describes current best practice methodologies for research and monitoring of fire effects and new methodologies for future research. This is the first time information on this topic has been presented in a single volume and the book will be an important reference for students, practitioners, managers and academics interested in the effects of fire on ecosystems, including soil scientists, geologists, forestry researchers and environmentalists.
Country : Future Fire, Future FarmingeBook - What do you need to know to prosper as a people for at least 65,000 years? The First Knowledges series provides a deeper understanding of the expertise and ingenuity of Indigenous Australians. For millennia, Indigenous Australians harvested this continent in ways that can offer contemporary environmental and economic solutions. Bill Gammage and Bruce Pascoe demonstrate how Aboriginal people cultivated the land through manipulation of water flows, vegetation and firestick practice.
Living with Fire: Bushfires and Land Management in AustraliaStreaming Video - WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are warned that the following program may contain images and voices of deceased persons. Every summer our television screens show emotional scenes of burning homes and heroic firefighters, and again questions are raised about the place of fire in the Australian environment. Far from being a total disaster for native Australian forests, we know that our indigenous flora can survive and even thrive in the aftermath of a fire. However, the overall effect of fire on Australian ecosystems is still a topic of intense study and debate.
The Physics of FireStreaming video - On average, about 8 million acres of land burns each year from wildfires. Big fires can reduce forests and grasslands to ash and can destroy homes and lives. Sadly, up to 90 percent of wildland fires in the United States are caused by humans’ carelessness, like unattended campfires, burning trash or waste, tossed-out cigarettes, and arson. The remaining 10 percent are usually started by lightning. Controlling and fighting fires isn’t easy. But knowing the science behind a burning blaze helps firefighters tackle the heat and flames to help save property, land and lives. Did you know wildfires often want to move uphill? It’s all part of the physics of how fires start and spread.
We acknowledge the Palawa people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we learn and work together and are committed to building relationships and opportunities for all Aboriginal people in our region.